Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
PhysioHeal Physiotherapy, a leading destination for comprehensive spinal cord injury rehabilitation. Our specialized approach aims to restore motor, sensory, and respiratory functions, as well as bladder, bowel, and sexual function, helping patients regain independence and enhance their quality of life. Our expert physiotherapists use diverse rehabilitation techniques to cater to both traumatic and non-traumatic spinal cord injuries.
Understanding Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries result from traumatic or non-traumatic events, causing neural damage that impacts various bodily functions. These injuries can affect motor, sensory, respiratory, cardiovascular functions, as well as bladder, bowel, and sexual function. Moreover, neurological disruptions can also influence blood pressure regulation, temperature control, and skin integrity. Spinal cord rehabilitation becomes fundamental in the recovery process, and physiotherapy plays a crucial role in restoring and improving patient capabilities.
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
- Complete Spinal Cord Injuries: These are the most severe injuries, where the spinal cord is entirely damaged, leading to the loss of signals below the injury site. The extent of paralysis depends on the location of the injury, with lumbar injuries affecting the lower body and cervical injuries affecting both upper and lower body functions.
- Incomplete Spinal Cord Injuries: Incomplete injuries involve partial damage or compression of the spinal cord, resulting in varying symptoms for different individuals. Some may experience mild impairments in sensory and motor functions, while others might face more significant challenges.
Our specialized treatment aims to achieve the following objectives
- Maximize Motor and Sensory Function Recovery
- Prevent Secondary Health Issues and Complications
- Enhance Motor Functional Activities with Early Intervention
- Improve Independence in Daily Living Activities
- Enable Patients to Lead a Fulfilling Life
Comprehensive Rehabilitation Phases
Spinal cord injury rehabilitation is divided into three phases:
- Acute Phase: Initial treatment often occurs in an intensive care unit, and rehabilitation begins during this phase.
- Sub-acute Phase (Rehabilitation): Inpatient management continues for 8 to 24 weeks, followed by outpatient rehabilitation for 3 to 12 months, with regular medical and functional reviews.
- Chronic Phase (Long Term): This phase involves the use of assistive or compensatory approaches to optimize function.
The Role of Physiotherapy in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
Our experienced physiotherapists play a vital role in helping patients recover from spinal cord injuries, offering the following benefits:
- Pain Control: Reduce or eliminate pain, improve mobility, and strengthen surrounding muscles through active rehabilitation.
- Movement Awareness: Enhance movement and strength while promoting overall well-being and teaching posture awareness.
- Functional Strength: Recommend exercises to strengthen weak areas affected by sensory and motor impairments.
- Balance and Coordination: Assist in relearning balance and coordination, essential for injury prevention and returning to pre-injury fitness levels.
- Cardiovascular and Respiratory Strength: Engage in aerobic exercises to maintain cardiovascular health and improve respiratory muscle strength.
- Improve Mobility: Implement alternative movement methods, muscle strengthening, or assistive devices to enhance mobility and flexibility.
Physiotherapy Interventions and Exercises
Our physiotherapists utilize a variety of interventions and exercises to promote mobility and recovery, including:
Who Can Benefit from Spinal Rehabilitation
Our comprehensive spinal rehabilitation program benefits patients with various conditions, including:
- Traumatic and Non-Traumatic Spinal Cord Injuries
- Central Nervous System or Neuromuscular Disorders
- Spinal Cord Disease Processes
- Dual Diagnosis of Spinal Cord and Brain Injury
- Post-Spinal Surgery Patients
At PhysioHeal Physiotherapy (the best physiotherapy center), our patient-centric approach ensures personalized spinal cord injury rehabilitation, helping patients regain control of their body functions and improve their overall well-being. Begin your journey to recovery today and get expert guidance from Dr Divya Gaur, one of the best physiotherapist in Gurgaon. Book your appointment now for comprehensive spinal cord injury rehabilitation.